Job Opportunity: Gender & Sustainability Officer
Employer: Deetken Impact
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (other locations in Latin America/ Caribbean/ Canada are possible)
Hours: Full Time
Start date: Immediate
Application Deadline: December 15, 2020
Deetken Impact invests in emerging economies to generate long term returns while making a positive social and environmental impact in communities. Together with its affiliate, Deetken Impact Sustainable Energy, Deetken Impact manages US$100 million of assets across more than 30 companies and projects primarily in Latin America and the Caribbean. The business is growing rapidly with offices in Vancouver, Canada and San Jose, Costa Rica and staff presence in Tegucigalpa, Honduras and Lima, Peru.
Deetken Impact is committed to advancing women’s economic empowerment and entrepreneurship through gender smart investment management. In 2019, we launched the Ilu Women’s Empowerment Fund as a joint venture with leading Latin American women’s organization Pro Mujer. The fund invests in a diversified portfolio of high impact businesses that promote women in leadership and governance, products and services that meet the needs of women and girls, gender-sensitive value chains and workplace equity.
Deetken Impact is a signatory to the UN Global Compact and a member of the Responsible Investment Association and the Canada Forum for Impact Investment and Development. Deetken Impact Sustainable Energy was recently recognized as an ImpactAssets 50 2020 manager, a showcase of experienced impact investment fund managers, and is a signatory to the Operating Principles for Impact Management.
We are looking for:
The Gender & Sustainability Officer will be an integral part of our gender lens investing team focused on leading and executing gender-focused assessments and strategic engagements with companies across the Latin America and Caribbean region that advance gender equality, women’s economic empowerment and promote inclusive development. The ideal candidate will be an individual with experience overseeing and informing gender and inclusion-focused projects for private sector companies.
Working collaboratively with the investment management team, investors, donors, and our key partner Pro Mujer, the Gender & Sustainability Officer will be responsible for conducting gender assessments, identification of gender lens opportunities, engagement with companies on gender smart business strategies, capacity-building for project stakeholders, preparing reports, knowledge dissemination and other activities.
The role will be based in Costa Rica, or another location in Latin America or Canada as mutually agreed.
- Lead and/or support gender analysis processes, including assessment design, implementation, staff training, data collection and data analysis, as well as continuous improvement of our frameworks and approach
- Lead and/or support gender-focused engagement projects with portfolio and pipeline companies
- Liaison with company management and project sponsors to support regular monitoring and reporting
- Lead and/or support the creation of case studies that demonstrate the business case for gender smart investing.
- Assist in the impact M&E of the portfolio, contribute to the production of quarterly reports to investors
- Support the organization of investor education events
- Representation/networking on behalf of the company
- Competitive salary package and performance bonus, depending on experience
- Master’s degree in Gender and Women’s Studies, Social Work, International Development/Relations or related fields, or equivalent training/experience
- At least 5 years of relevant professional working experience
- Expertise in gender and inclusion, including in gender-focused analysis, gender-smart investing, differential gender impacts of laws, policies and regulations, or similar framework
- Statistical and analytical acumen and the ability to interpret and analyze data for trends, performance gaps, and other relevant information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Sound relationship and people management skills
- Sound problem solving and decision-making skills
- Experience in Latin America and/or the Caribbean is strongly preferred
- Working proficiency in English and Spanish is strongly preferred
Please send us your resume and cover letter: firstname.lastname@example.org